Wednesday, March 30, 2011

80's are back?

I recently added two new pieces to my sports clothing wardrobe.  One was a NY Islanders hat that my girlfriend bought for me at the RBK store in NYC, the other was a Winnipeg Jets jersey with Hawerchuk #10.  It was then when I noticed how similar the two logos are.


Then I went back and read the first post of this blog which brought to our attention the growing number of new jerseys that feature logos designed in a circle.  Could it be that this is just the 80's jersey fashion coming back around?

Excluding the Bruins, we saw this start in the 70's with the Sabres and the Islanders, but it was in the 80's that this really took off.  First the Oilers and the Jets bringing their style from the WHA.  Then the Devils in '82, followed by the Canucks in '85.  Unfortunately for some of these teams it's only the jerseys that seem to be coming back and not the Stanley Cup.

I for one like the 80's being back.  It was a decade that saw Gretzky and the Canada Cup, Stevie Y, Youngblood and countless more of the hockey's greatest moments.  I also hope it sticks around because I am not ready for a rehash of what the 90's brought.




No comments:

Post a Comment