Wednesday, April 13, 2011

PLAYOFFS

The playoffs start today and with them we will see the rise of some new playoff heros.  Having a heroic playoff run can really lift the stock of a players jersey and make it a collectible for years to come. 

As I was recently shopping for some classic playoff jerseys for the Jersey Club, I turned to the Hockey Hall of Fame assuming that they would carry them.  Since the NHL and RBK have a liscensing deal, the HHOF only carries RBK jerseys.  Well RBK only makes current jerseys with a few classics in their roster.  So obviously I was disappointed when they told me they don't make the away version of the 1994 Messier Rangers, nor do they make the 1998 or 2002 Yzerman redwings.  How long until they stop making the 2010 Toews or a 1993 Roy?  So here's my suggestion to RBK and the NHL, come out with a line of "Playoff heros".  Every year before the playoffs you re-release jerseys of some classic playoff heros and you release them for as many teams as possible that are in the current playoffs.

Obviously you have the staples Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman and Gilmour every year so here is my list of playoff heros for this year.  

J.S. Giguere - 2003 Ducks

In 2003, the Ducks did not sport everyone's favorite jersey, but there is no denying that any loyal Ducks fan has to appreciate Giggy's Conn Smythe winning performance that year.  He went 15 - 6 with 5 SO, a 0.945 sv pct. and a 1.62 GAA.  Not to mention he only gave up 1 goal against Minnesota in the entire series and set a then record shutout streak of 217 minutes and 54 seconds (since broken by Bryzgalov)





Patrick Kane - 2010 Blackhawks
Normally I would pick Toews, but Kane does score the cup winning goal and I sort of feel bad for him.  Kane fulfills his dream of scoring the winning goal, to bad he was the only one that knew he scored and had to celebrate by himself, like how I used to do it in my basement.

Pavel Bure - 1994 Canucks 
The Canucks made it to game 7 of the cup finals as a 7th seed.  I mostly remember hating Kirk McLean for shutting out the Leafs twice in the conference finals, but it was really Bure's 31 pts in that playoff run that lead them to being one win away from have the stanley cup.








As for the rest of the teams in the western conference this year, Nashville does not have any playoff heroes to date, neither do the sharks and the redwings is always going to be Yzerman which should be released every year no matter who's in the playoffs similarly, LA will always be Gretzky.  So I'm calling in a wild card this year and going to honour my favorite playoff goal of all time.

Nikolai Borschevsky - 1993 Leafs
Oh man, some good memories with this one.  I bruised my achilles celebrating while on vacation in florida.  Yes Leafs hockey was broad casted in southern US once upon a time.

 Stay Tuned as tomorrow I will look at the Eastern Conference.  Who will represent Boston, Orr or Bourque? 

No comments:

Post a Comment